Smile Makeover Procedure
Dr. van Zyl will first meet with you for a smile makeover consultation. The goal of this meeting is not to determine what is wrong with the smile, but to determine the ideal result. Dr. van Zyl has an excellent aesthetic eye, and can skillfully recommend the best treatments for achieving your cosmetic goals. He will also map out the entire plan for administering treatment. Procedures may be carried out simultaneously and over the course of several months. A smile makeover will include any combination of the following procedures:
- Teeth whitening – Dr. van Zyl recommends having a KOR whitening treatment first, so he can match any restorations to your beautiful, bright white smile.
- Porcelain veneers – If you have chipped, cracked, broken, or otherwise flawed visible front teeth, porcelain veneers are natural-looking tooth coverings customized for your smile. Veneers effectively conceal any imperfections for a gorgeous smile.
- Invisible braces – ClearCorrect™ corrects misaligned teeth and other orthodontic issues with a series of clear, plastic removable trays. This treatment is an effective, yet inconspicuous alternative to traditional metal braces.
- Restorative dentistry – Dental implants are a permanent solution for replacing missing teeth. The implant is a titanium post surgically placed in the jaw to function as the root of the tooth. Then, a natural-looking prosthetic tooth is attached to the implant, filling the gap. Dentures are another alternative to replace missing teeth.
- Porcelain crowns – Porcelain crowns are natural-looking caps that fit snuggly over badly decayed or damaged back teeth to restore beauty, strength, and functionality.
- Composite dental fillings – Replace silver amalgam dental fillings with beautiful, white composite material for natural-looking, unnoticeable results. The composite material can also be used to reshape cracked or chipped teeth.
Candidates for a Smile Makeover
Dr. van Zyl will determine whether you are a good candidate for a smile makeover. Almost anyone who is displeased with his or her smile can benefit from a smile makeover. Ideal candidates are individuals who require a combination of cosmetic dentistry procedures for achieving a beautiful smile. Common cosmetic issues may include teeth that are:
- Crooked, twisted, or incorrectly positioned
- Uneven, too short, or too long
- Cracked, chipped, broken
- Decayed or damaged
- Discolored or stained
- Widely spaced – gaps between teeth
Risks or Side Effects of a Smile Makeover
There are very little to no serious risks associated with a smile makeover. Before beginning any treatment, Dr. van Zyl will discuss potential issues and make sure all of your questions are answered. It is important that you go to only an experienced, skilled, and highly trained cosmetic dentist such as Dr. van Zyl to avoid serious risks.
Individuals may experience some discomfort or tooth sensitivity after certain procedures. Additionally, some time may need to pass in between treatments for proper healing.
Determining Your Cost
When you undergo a smile makeover, your cosmetic treatment is specially designed and customized for your smile and exact needs. With this personalization, the cost of your makeover will depend on a variety of factors.
Restorative and General Procedures
In order to undergo cosmetic procedures, you must be in good oral health. Conditions such as decay or oral damage can limit the success of your aesthetic results. If you require a root canal therapy to treat infected teeth, dental fillings to repair tooth structure after suffering from decay, or temporomandibular joint (TMJ) treatment to prevent oral damage, these treatments can contribute to your overall expense.
Number and Extent of Procedures
The more procedures you undergo, the higher your overall cost will be. Planning your treatment beforehand will help you to choose the options that will be most beneficial for your smile. The amount of work being completed with each procedure will also affect the price, such as receiving several porcelain veneers instead of only one or two.
More extensive procedures can often provide longer-lasting results, but can increase the cost of your treatment. Undergoing treatment with ClearCorrect™ braces will cost more than receiving dental bonding or veneers to conceal minor orthodontic issues. Similarly, porcelain veneers can provide a much brighter smile, but will require more of an investment than teeth whitening.
Anesthesia and Sedation
Typically, your treatment cost will not include the expense of added anesthesia or sedation. The more pain management that you require, the higher your cost will be. However, planning your makeover in advance can help you undergo multiple treatments at once, reducing the amount of anesthesia or sedation you require and lowering your cost.
Dr. van Zyl is focused on helping patients to be confident and comfortable in their smiles by providing individualized smile makeovers based on their specific needs and goals.
Different restorations such as dental crowns can address misshapen or stained teeth with lifelike, durable results. Patients have several options to choose from. More advanced materials such as zirconia or specialized porcelain can provide significantly natural-looking results, but can cost more than other materials.
Learn More about Smile Makeovers
Are you tired of having a less-than-perfect smile? If so, it may be time to visit Dr. van Zyl. To learn more about a smile makeover, including costs, contact our practice today.