If you have noticeable cosmetic imperfections, such as discolored, cracked, chipped, broken, or slightly misaligned teeth, Dr. Ettienne van Zyl offers a fast and effective solution. Porcelain veneers placed at his Memphis, TN-area practice are designed to match your natural tooth enamel precisely, while covering minor imperfections. Veneers are thin, durable porcelain shells customized to fit over the surfaces of your teeth, complementing the entire appearance of your smile. Dr. van Zyl's artistic eye and exceptional skill can help you achieve the charismatic smile you have always wanted.
Porcelain Veneers Candidates
Porcelain veneers can be an excellent treatment for virtually any patient who feels self-conscious about:
- Cracked, chipped, or broken teeth
- Slightly misaligned teeth
- Discolored teeth that do not respond to teeth whitening treatment
- Uneven or misshapen teeth
- Teeth that appear too big or too small
- Overcrowded teeth
- Widely or unevenly spaced teeth
In short, if the cosmetic issue does not compromise the health of your smile, veneers can be a great way to achieve an aesthetic upgrade. In addition, it is important that you have healthy teeth and gums. If you have severely weakened or eroded teeth, you may not be able to undergo the preparation process. Gum disease can also lead to a host of oral health problems, including tooth loss. Fortunately, Dr. van Zyl can often treat these conditions, renewing your candidacy for veneers.
Video: Porcelain Veneers
Dr. van Zyl and his team at The Van Zyl Center for Advanced Dentistry are experts in the field of cosmetic dentistry. Specializing in creating beautiful and custom-made porcelain veneers. Watch Dr. van Zyl discuss the personalized porcelain veneer process at his office.
Porcelain Veneer Placement
The placement of porcelain veneers from start to finish will take at least two visits. Cosmetic procedures require great attention to detail. Therefore, the diagnostic and preparatory phases are as important as the clinical procedure. Your treatment timeline will involve:
- Meeting with Dr. van Zyl to discuss your aesthetic goals.
- Meticulous planning. Many cosmetic practices use advanced digital imaging technology so that you can see the end result before you start. Dr. van Zyl believes this technology often creates false hopes and unrealistic expectations. He prefers to prepare a diagnostic wax-up that gives you a tangible, 3-D representation, and you can request changes if you are not completely happy with the appearance. Once you give your approval, we will schedule your preparatory appointment.
- Preparation of your teeth. We will administer a local anesthetic to reduce any potential discomfort as we remove a small amount of enamel to accommodate the porcelain veneer. This step will ensure that your veneers are even with the surrounding teeth for a beautiful and natural appearance.
- Taking impressions. Dr. van Zyl will create an accurate impression of the teeth you wish to treat, the surrounding teeth, and your bite registration. Next, he will place temporary restorations. The porcelain shells will mimic the shape and color of the final veneers. They will also prevent tooth sensitivity as you wait for the lab to craft your permanent restorations. We work with a highly reputable lab to ensure that you receive the highest quality veneers.
- The second appointment. After about two weeks, your permanent veneers will be ready. Dr. van Zyl will remove the temporary restorations. Next, he or a member of his team will clean your teeth to achieve an optimal bond to the permanent veneers.
- The try-in. Dr. van Zyl will place all veneers in position for your approval. If you are happy with the way they look, he will bond them into place. He uses high-quality dental cement to ensure the most secure bond possible.
- Securing the veneers. When the veneers are in place, Dr. van Zyl will treat your teeth with a special light to harden the cement. Next, he will give the veneers a final polish.
Before your appointment is over, Dr. van Zyl will make certain that your bite is comfortable and that you are satisfied with the results. He is committed to your complete satisfaction, and he will make any necessary adjustments to ensure the most realistic results and a properly balanced bite. Finally, you can leave our office with a smile you can be proud to share with everyone you meet.
Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers offer a number of benefits:
- Natural-looking results: We use porcelain that offers both a realistic color and a lifelike sparkle. Therefore, your veneers will be virtually identical to natural teeth.
- Long-lasting results: With proper care, veneers can last 10 years or more.
- Strong and durable: Modern dental porcelain can withstand the daily forces of biting and chewing.
- Resistance to staining: Your veneers will resist stains, and by keeping surrounding teeth clean and healthy, you can expect to enjoy a bright, beautiful smile.
- Versatility: With veneers, you can address several different imperfections at once.
- Customized Treatment: Dr. van Zyl will carefully check the shape and size of each veneer to give you natural-looking results and a comfortable bite.
- Enhanced confidence: With your thoroughly transformed smile, you may look and feel years younger. Your boosted self-esteem could result in positive changes in your social life, as well as your professional life.
Dr. van Zyl can transform your smile with porcelain veneers. He uses lifelike materials, 3-D representation, and meticulous treatment planning.
Risks or Side Effects of Porcelain Veneers
Most patients feel that the benefits of porcelain veneers far outweigh the risks, which are minimal. Porcelain veneers are made of a safe, non-toxic material. In addition, Dr. van Zyl will use conservative techniques when prepping your teeth. Because the procedure is irreversible, he make certain that you are comfortable with the treatment before he begins. You may experience some tooth sensitivity immediately after the procedure. However, any discomfort will be temporary. After these effects fade, you should can expect complete dental comfort and a gorgeous smile.
In order to experience the best possible long-term benefits of treatment, you must practice good oral hygiene habits. This care includes regular brushing, flossing, and routine checkups every six months.
Learn More about Porcelain Veneers
If you are interested in enhancing your smile, porcelain veneers may be the right treatment for you. The only way to know for sure is to meet with Dr. van Zyl. For more information on porcelain veneers, or to schedule a consultation, contact us today.